Friday, April 25, 2008

My Addiction




I have an addiction to people who struggle with addiction (if that makes any sense). It's wierd and often times baffles me. I feel a desire to help, to protect, to learn, not to judge and try to understand them. Although, I do believe I understand it to some degree, because I know I'm addicted to food. I buy books about it, many I've never read, but here's my latest finds.

I haven't read the Sheff's book yet (just got them), but I have read "Come Back" and highly recommend it (if you can take sadness, darkness and despair), it was hard to read, but accurately displayed the raw truth of having a child addicted to drugs. Something I hope and pray everyday, I'll never have to deal with as a parent. I believe it to be the most devastating and helpless place a parent could find themself.
I'll keep you posted on the books. "Beautiful Boy" is the father's account of having a drug addicted son and "Tweak" is the son's journal / account of his life addicted to primarily crystal meth. FYI: Great Website: http://www.montanameth.org/ Amazing and incredibly successful campain in fighting Montana's huge meth problem. You can listen / view the ads they've put on T.V and radio that has significantly reduced the rate of meth use there. The ads are hard to watch (dark, horrible) but real life. I believe we need to show them in every state. I imagine people in Utah would have a difficult time with the ads and their children seeing them, but the reality is, kids need to see this stuff for what it really is and these definitely show that. We can't sugarcoat what they see and the ads here in Utah, I think are pathetic. They don't come close to displaying the drug for what it really is. Our children need to be scared. Scared is good sometimes, especially if it keeps them from using. That's my soapbox for the day! Press On!

4 comments:

Kelsey, Greg, and Olivia said...

I didn't know you had a blog. Greg found it! It will be fun to see your pics and hear stuff about the girls and you (not that I don't talk to you often!) Anyway, greg wants to know if you'll add his internet marketing blog to your favs! Love ya

Amy said...

Hey have Ellie check out Dallin's blog, it's a little tribute to his best girl. It's cute. Hope you're feeling better, SORRY!

Amy said...

BTW- good post! I love that you love to help people, one of your many qualities that make you the BEST! love your guts

Bean There...Done That said...

Myken-
Just another one of the million reasons I love you so!
Allison
p.s. I am so glad you decided to join the blogging world, I can't wait to read more about my favorite lil munchkins.