Thursday, July 31, 2008

LIFE IS PRECIOUS!!!!!

I love my work! It is so rewarding and lately has given me hope on some of my hard days and courage to go on! I went to visit my hospice patient (the one on the right) who's 94 years old. She lives with her daughter who went out of town so her 85 year old sister came to care for her for a month from Arizona. When I pulled up, this is what I saw and it totally made me cry. Two sisters, who've shared their whole lives with each other, the ups the downs and all the in betweens. I had to get a picture of it. Just sitting on the porch swing, remembering their pasts. How is an 85 year old taking care of anybody anyways. Talk about good genes.
Work at the hospital has been so crazy lately and I swear Mondays are just insane. I've learned an important lesson recently, LIFE IS PRECIOUS!!!! We should never take it for granted and always be the kind of person we want to be remembered for! There's not a minute to waste, although I waste a lot, I assure you, but I want to be better. I want to cherish everyday, every minute and be the kind of person who helps those around me and leaves an impression of good!
I came across this poem that same day and it was so fitting:
"Along my way as I passed through town, I saw men tearing a building down.
With a "Ho-heave-ho" and a husky yell, They swung a beam and a side wall fell.
I asked the foreman, "Are these men skilled"? the kind you'd hire if you had to build"?
"on no," he chuckled. "No indeed. The common laborer is all I need.
Why, I can destroy in a day or two, What builders have taken weeks to do"
I thought to myself as I went on my way, "Which of these roles have I tried to play?
Am I a builder, who works with care, Strengthening lives by rule and square,
Shaping my peers through a well made plan, Helping them do the best they can?
Or am I a wrecker, who walks around, Content with the labor of tearing down?"
Josh Kaiser

1 comments:

Bean There...Done That said...

That is the sweetest picture, I want to be their friend! Seeing them makes me wish I was back working at the Assisted Living, I miss those amazing people. You are an exceptional person Myken with incredible qualities of goodness, kindness, sincerity, and compassion; you ARE changing the lives of those around you.
Love You
Al